Reading view

There are new articles available, click to refresh the page.

Aaron Judge matches Babe Ruth's home run total through first 1,000 games in Yankees' win over Pirates

Aaron Judge continued his scalding start to the season during the New York Yankees' 9-4 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates at PNC Park Friday.

Judge, 32, marked his 1,000th game by hitting his sixth home run of the season in the seventh inning off relief pitcher Tim Mayza to make the score 9-1. 

Judge’s seventh-inning blast was the 321st of his career, matching Babe Ruth's total in his first 1,000 games with the Yankees

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

The Yankees captain has won the AL MVP two of the last three seasons and picked up right he left off to start the 2025 campaign. Last season, Judge hit .322 with 58 home runs and 144 RBIs. 

Through seven games this season, Judge has a .379 batting average with six home runs and 17 RBIs. 

BASEBALL HALL OF FAMER FERGIE JENKINS BELIEVES TORPEDO BATS COULD LEAD TO HIGHER BATTING AVERAGES

Judge has hit more home runs than the Tampa Bay Rays, Colorado Rockies, Houston Astros, Kansas City Royals, Miami Marlins, Toronto Blue Jays and Minnesota Twins so far this season. 

Judge wasn’t the only Yankees hitter who had a strong game against the Pirates. Third baseman Oswaldo Cabrera was 3-for-4 with 4 RBIs. Shortstop Anthony Volpe had three hits in the win.

Max Fried collected his first win of the season and his first win with the Yankees after pitching 5⅔ innings and giving up just one run on six hits while striking out six batters. Fried signed the most lucrative contract for a left-handed pitcher in MLB history with the Yankees in the offseason, an eight-year, $218 million deal. 

Judge and the Yankees (5-2) take on the Pirates (2-6) in the second game of a three-game series Saturday at 4:05 p.m. ET. Marcus Stroman will start for the Yankees, and Bailey Falter will take the mound for the Pirates. 

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

FBI Director Kash Patel celebrates Alex Ovechkin's historic night alongside Wayne Gretzky: 'Huge props'

FBI Director Kash Patel sat alongside the great Wayne Gretzky at Capital One Arena on Friday night where the pair, joined by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, witnessed a historic night in hockey history. 

Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin scored the 894th goal of his career in a 5-3 win over the Chicago Blackhawks to tie Gretzky’s record. The goal came in the first few minutes of the third period on a Capitals’ power play. 

Teammates poured onto the ice to surround Ovechkin. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

In the stands, Patel and Gretzky celebrated.

"Congrats to The Great One Wayne Gretzky and huge props to #8 @ovi8," Patel said in a post on X. He shared a photo inside the locker room shaking Ovechkin’s hand. "The greatest game on earth, honored to be with them on this record tying night… 894 goals #Legends @NHL." 

Ovechkin is one goal away from passing Gretzky – an opportunity he had Friday night, but refused to take. 

ALEX OVECHKIN TIES WAYNE GRETZKY'S ALL-TIME NHL GOAL RECORD

"He wants to break the record with a goaltender in the crease, which I appreciate," head coach Spencer Carbery said. "He told me that on the bench, and I just wanted to confirm that he didn’t want to go out. And it’s hard for us as coaches, because I just wanted to make sure in that moment: hat trick, at home. And he didn’t want to go out and score on an empty net to break the record."

He added, "We have six games left, and he wants to break the record and have that moment where he’s shooting the puck past a goalie."

Ovechkin’s next opportunity will come Sunday against the New York Islanders at UBS Arena. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Falcons legend Julio Jones announces retirement from NFL after 13 seasons

Atlanta Falcons great Julio Jones announced his retirement from the NFL after 13 seasons on Friday. 

Jones, 36, is the Falcons' franchise leader in receptions (848) and receiving yards (12,896) and is second to only Roddy White in touchdowns (60). 

"I’m announcing my retirement. I started when I was 8 years old from Foley, Alabama. It was an amazing ride," Jones wrote in a statement

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

"I’d like to thank my family through this whole process as my support system. With them, none of this could have been possible."

Jones was drafted with the No. 6 overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft by the Falcons out of Alabama. He played 10 seasons with the Falcons and was named to the Pro-Bowl seven times and was an All-Pro selection five times. 

PATRICK MAHOMES NEARLY QUIT FOOTBALL IN HIGH SCHOOL, MOTHER SAYS

Jones spent one season each with the Tennessee Titans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Philadelphia Eagles following his 10-year run with the Falcons. Jones last played in 2023 with the Eagles and didn’t play in 2024. 

Jones caught 914 passes for 13,703 yards and 66 touchdowns across his NFL career. 

"I’m making this announcement today because of the city of Atlanta," Jones said in his statement. "Thank you man, I appreciate y’all. It’s nothing but love. I’m doing this on 404 day — it was a hell of a ride. ... This was for the city, man, I appreciate you all."

"Also want to thank the other ball clubs out there as well, organizations. Tennessee, thank you for the opportunity. Tampa, thank you for the opportunity. Eagles, thank you for the opportunity."

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Dean Wells, former NFL linebacker and Kentucky standout, dead at 54 following cancer battle

Dean Wells, who played for nearly a decade in the NFL following a standout career at the University of Kentucky, died Thursday following a two-year battle with cancer. He was 54. 

Wells spent the first six years of his NFL career with the Seattle Seahawks after he was selected in the fourth round of the 1993 draft. He signed with the Carolina Panthers in 1999, where he played for another three seasons before officially retiring in 2001. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

The Panthers announced Wells’ passing on the team website Friday. 

Wells first opened up about his cancer diagnosis in an interview with On3.com in April 2024. He said he had been diagnosed the previous year with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL).

"There’s mental toughness that comes into it. You have to have a positive attitude that you can beat it. I’ve done everything that I can with that. It’s like the chemo either works or it doesn’t. You just don’t have a lot of control over it. You wish you had more control," he said at the time. 

SUPER BOWL CHAMPION MATT STEVENS DEAD AT 51, FAMILY SAYS

According to the Mayo Clinic, Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia is a cancer of the blood and bone marrow in which "the disease progresses rapidly and creates immature blood cells, rather than mature ones."

Wells finished his pro career with 529 tackles, 2.5 sacks, six forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries, and three interceptions. It followed a standout career at Kentucky where Wells still holds the records for most sacks in a game (5) and the single-season sack record (10). 

"Condolences to family & friends of Dean Wells, who has passed away," the university said in a statement on social media. 

"A 3-year starter, he set a UK single-game record with 5 sacks vs. Indiana and went on to a 9-year NFL career. After NFL retirement, he returned to hometown Louisville and was a staunch supporter of the Wildcats."

Wells is survived by his wife, Lisa, and their two sons. 

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

❌