❌

Normal view

There are new articles available, click to refresh the page.
Today β€” 4 April 2025Sport News

Mookie Betts makes decision on Dodgers' White House visit after skipping with Red Sox

Mookie Betts won his second World Series in October, but this weekend will mark his first time commemorating a World Series victory with President Donald Trump.

Betts won a title with the Boston Red Sox in 2018, the same year he was named American League MVP.

However, he opted to skip the team's celebration at the White House in 2019.Β 

That will not be the case this year.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

"This is not about me; I don’t want anything to be about me. This is about the Dodgers. Because these boys were there for me," Betts said, via the L.A. Times.

Betts said he regretted not making the trip in 2019, which manager Alex Cora and pitcher David Price also skipped, saying he felt he was a distraction.

"No matter what I say or what I do, people are gonna take it as political. But that’s definitely not what it is. This is about what the Dodgers were able to accomplish last year," he said.

Cora recently admitted he skipped out on meeting Trump because he wanted to prioritize his home country of Puerto Rico. When the Red Sox visited the White House in May 2019, Puerto Rico was still recovering from the destruction of Hurricane Maria in 2017, and Cora wasn't satisfied with the federal government's response.Β 

YANKEES ANNOUNCER CHIDES TEAM'S FANS FOR VULGAR JUAN SOTO CHANT AFTER HE LEFT FOR METS

Other Dodgers had been asked about their status for the trip, but Betts' decision was understandably top of mind.

"It is what it is. It comes with the territory, being Black in America in a situation like this. It’s a tough spot to be in," he said. "No matter what I choose, somebody is gonna be pissed. Somebody is gonna have their own opinion. But, again, this is not about me. This is not about politics. This is about the Dodgers. It’s about my loyalty to these boys, this clubhouse. And that’s all it is for me."

The Dodgers defeated Trump's hometown New York Yankees in five games last year.

The Philadelphia Eagles will visit the White House later this month, and the Stanley Cup champion Florida Panthers visited earlier this year.

Follow Fox News Digital’sΒ sports coverage on X,Β and subscribe toΒ the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Yankees announcer chides team's fans for vulgar Juan Soto chant after he left for Mets

New York Yankees fans were in unfamiliar territory when a superstar chose the crosstown rival Mets over their favorite team.

Juan Soto signed a 15-year, $765 million deal, the most lucrative in sports history, with the Mets this offseason after helping the Yankees to the World Series in his lone season with the club last year.

While some Yankees fans have favored Soto's departure because it allowed the team to bring on more players with the money it saved, plenty of fans are still upset about it.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

During the Yankees' game Thursday against the Arizona Diamondbacks, fans randomly began chanting, "F--- Juan Soto."

The Mets have long been called the Yankees' little brother, but Michael Kay, the Yanks' play-by-play announcer, said the roles were reversed with those chants.

"We hear this silly banter back and forth about big brother, little brother. You know what that was yesterday, everybody? I hate to say it, and you’re not gonna like it. That was little brother nonsense," Kay said on his radio show Friday afternoon, which is broadcast on the Mets' flagship radio station.

"Why are you chanting about Juan Soto? Your team is winning. And that’s what you’re coming up with? You kind of should be a little bit embarrassed.

"Shame on all of you. Really, shame on all of you. It’s such an awful tiny look. … You are still big brother. The Mets haven’t won anything. They won a bidding war for Juan Soto. They haven’t won a championship since 1986," Kay added. "It’s been 39 years since they won a title, and you’re chanting β€˜bleep Juan Soto?’ I don’t get it.Β 

"Color me confused. I don’t get it, and it’s a bad look. It’s a bad, bad look. … I think it’s an awful, awful look by all of you. All of you! And I would have addressed it yesterday if I actually heard it through my headphones."

Soto made his home debut with the Mets Friday and went 1-for-4 with an RBI double. It's been a bit of a slower start for the outfielder, who's hitting .240 in his first seven games.

It's not uncommon for Yankees fans to also chant similarly against Jose Altuve, who has been public enemy No. 1 since the Houston Astros' sign-stealing scandal in 2017.

Altuve beat Aaron Judge, then a rookie, for the AL MVP, while the Astros beat the Yankees in the ALCS in seven games that year. Two years later, Altuve hit a walk-off homer against the Yanks to again win the pennant, but his hesitance to have his shirt taken off has led to unproven speculation he was wearing some sort of device during the at-bat.

Soto will return to the Bronx for a game between the Mets and Yankees May 16.

Follow Fox News Digital’sΒ sports coverage on X,Β and subscribe toΒ the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Trans track athlete wins varsity girls competition after previously placing last against JV boys: report

A transgender athlete took home first place in a varsity high jump competition at an Oregon high school meet Wednesday, roughly two years after finishing last while competing against junior varsity boys, according to a report.Β 

Lia Rose, who reportedly used to compete as Zachary, won the high jump at the Portland Interscholastic League Varsity Relays with a height of 4 feet, 8 inches, beating the second-place finisher by two inches.

According to athletic.net, while competing against JV boys May 3, 2023, Zachary Rose finished 11th out of 11 competitors with a jump of 4 feet, 6 inches.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

The winning height in that meet was another foot higher.

According to online records, Zachary Rose competed in the boys category in 2023. The following year, Lia Rose also competed in the same category. But this year, Lia Rose was listed as competing in the girls category.

In 2024, Lia mostly competed against JV boys, with a top finish of second place and a personal record of 5 feet even.

Zachary competed as a sophomore in track with a top finish of second in a JV 3,000-meter race, but there were only two competitors. Zachary lost by over a minute.

Lia's 4-foot, 8-inch mark from Wednesday is listed as a "personal record."

A spokesperson from Portland Public Schools was unable to confirm or deny that Lia and Zachary are the same person, citing the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act "to protect student privacy."

Lia's victory comes roughly two weeks after Ada Gallagher, a trans track athlete in the Portland area, blew out the competition.

Gallagher, a state champion last year, finished at 57.62 in the 400 meters, with Franklin High School's Kinnaly Souphanthong coming in second at 1:05.72. Gallagher's teammate, Quinnan Schaefer, was behind Souphanthong at 1:07.13.Β 

In the 200-meter race, Gallagher finished in first place at 25.76, followed by teammate Addyson Skyles at 27.31.

Both times for Gallagher were season bests.

Fox News' Scott Thompson contributed to this report.

Follow Fox News Digital’sΒ sports coverage on X,Β and subscribe toΒ the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

❌
❌