Normal view

There are new articles available, click to refresh the page.
Today — 4 April 2025Sport News

‘Riding the wave’: Lilah Fear and Lewis Gibson look to turn historic world bronze into Olympic glory

4 April 2025 at 07:19

British ice dancers Lilah Fear and Lewis Gibson have long been seen as the natural successors to Torvill and Dean. Now with an historic world bronze medal under their belts, they talk Flo Clifford through their rise to the top

© AP

Free speech group defends Maine Rep Laurel Libby after censure over trans athlete post

Five weeks after Maine state representative Laurel Libby was censured for a social media post identifying a trans athlete, a free speech group has filed an amicus brief in support of her lawsuit to overturn the censure. 

The free speech group FIRE, in its brief, argued against the basis of the censure, which was imposed by the Democrat majority and Maine House Speaker Ryan Fecteau. 

"If political majorities can impose draconian sanctions on political minorities, then no viewpoint is safe. That’s no way to uphold America’s robust commitment to free and open political speech, and that’s why the First Amendment forbids officials from retaliating against dissenting views," FIRE supervising senior attorney JT Morris told Fox News Digital. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM 

The basis of Libby's censure was that she made a post that identified a minor by name and photo when she called out a trans pole vaulter who won a girls' competition for Greely High School. However, the trans athlete had already been publicized in other local media prior to Libby's post. 

The other media included a post on the Maine House Democrats’ website, the amicus brief alleges.

All of Maine's federal judges have recused themselves from the case. 

The judges, John C. Nivison, John A. Woodcock, Lance E. Walker, Karen F. Wolf, Stacey D. Neumann and Nancy Torresen, signed recusal orders on Tuesday, shortly after the case was initially filed. No reason was provided for the judges' recusal. The case has since been referred to the District of Rhode Island, according to multiple reports.

Fecteau, who passed the censure, is the main defendant in the lawsuit, alongside House of Representatives clerk Robert Hunt. The Maine Attorney General’s Office will represent Fecteau.

Libby's lawsuit seeks to have her voting and speaking rights restored. Fecteau previously said Libby's rights would be restored after she apologizes, which she does not intend to do. Libby told Fox News Digital in a previous interview that she encourages Fecteau to restore her rights to avoid taking the case to court and costing taxpayers the price of any potential litigation.

MAINE GIRL INVOLVED IN TRANS ATHLETE BATTLE REVEALS HOW STATE'S POLICIES HURT HER CHILDHOOD AND SPORTS CAREER

Libby represents more than 9,000 constituents in Maine's House District 90, and six of them have signed on to the lawsuit as plaintiffs, because the censure has impeded her ability to help carry out other legislative actions to serve those constituents. 

On March 20, Libby was permitted to speak and present 10 amendments during a vote of the state's bi-annual budget. One of those amendments was not related to the budget, but was a proposal to keep trans athletes out of girls' sports. 

However, when Libby did speak to present her amendments, multiple Democrats protested, instigating a debate with Republican representatives. Ultimately, Libby's amendments were not even considered, and Democrats moved to have the amendments indefinitely postponed. 

The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced on Wednesday a pause and an ongoing review of federal funding to Maine after the state refused to provide equal opportunities to women and girls in educational programs. 

The state has refused to comply with President Donald Trump's February executive order to ban trans athletes from girls and women's sports, prompting immense federal pressure. Trump initially vowed to cut federal funding to the state if it refused to comply with the order during a Feb. 20 speech, days after Libby made her social media post. 

More potential sanctions could be coming to the state in the next week. 

The U.S. Department of Education sent a letter to the Maine Department of Education (MDOE) on Monday, advising a final deadline of April 11 to address the issue or risk a second referral to the Department of Justice. The Department of Health and Human Services referred Maine to the DOJ last week. 

A survey by the American Parents Coalition found that out of about 600 registered Maine voters, 63% said school sports participation should be based on biological sex, and 66% agreed that it is "only fair to restrict women’s sports to biological women."

The poll also found that 60% of residents would support a ballot measure limiting participation in women’s and girls' sports to biological females. This included 64% of independents and 66% of parents with kids under age 18.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Jameis Winston pens heartfelt goodbye to Browns fans after signing with Giants

Jameis Winston spent just one season with the Cleveland Browns, but the city and its fans seemed to have left a lasting mark on the NFL veteran. 

In an open letter to fans, Winston penned a heartfelt goodbye to the organization on Thursday after signing with the New York Giants on a two-year, $8 million deal last month. 

"I’m so happy and grateful for everything we experienced together this past year. From day one, you welcomed my family and me with open arms — and for that, I’m forever thankful," he wrote in a post on Instagram. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

"To the Dawg Pound: you were electric. Snow or shine, highs or lows, your energy never wavered. You reminded us all what loyalty, passion, and community really look like. This year was one of growth, service, and adaptability — not just for me personally, but for my family as well. And Cleveland, you played a major role in that. The spirit of this city, the heart of its people, and the bond we’ve built will always be with us."

Winston joined the Browns to serve as a backup to Deshaun Watson after spending the previous four seasons with the New Orleans Saints. He took over as the starter following Watson’s season-ending injury, appearing in 12 games and starting in seven. 

Winston recorded 2,121 passing yards, 13 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions and set a franchise record when he threw for 497 yards with four touchdowns in the Browns’ 41-32 loss against the Denver Broncos in Week 13. 

DESHAUN WATSON POSTS CRYPTIC MESSAGE AFTER BROWNS OWNER'S COMMENTS

"To the amazing men and women who make this city special: thank you. You’ve made a lasting impact on our lives, helping us rise to a greater calling — one rooted in unity, service, and love," his post continued. "Wishing you continued blessings, prosperity, and nothing but the best."

The Giants’ move to sign Winston was the organization’s first step in fixing a troubled quarterback room. Not long after, New York made a move on Russell Wilson, signing him on a one-year deal reportedly worth up to $21 million. 

"I expect to be the starter and to be able to come here and rock and roll every day," Wilson said after the deal was official. "I think this team’s really looking for somebody to lead them in every way — in terms of the process, in the offseason, during the season, our habits and our thought process and how we create a great winning culture." 

That being said, New York is not shutting the door on the quarterback problems just yet. 

With the No. 3 pick in the draft later this month, the Giants are still expected to explore the possibility of drafting another quarterback that would solve their long-term issues. 

"The face of a franchise is a quarterback," Giants head coach Brian Daboll said Tuesday at the annual NFL spring meetings. "It’s not an easy position to evaluate. It’s not an easy position to coach. It’s not an easy position to play. You do the best job you can to try to find the right one for your team."

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

❌
❌